Which is this one fabric that is ideal for your baby’s skin? Let’s find out what is muslin
How to take care of a baby after birth? What’s the best fabric for my baby? With which cloth should I wrap the baby? What to use if I have to clean my baby’s tongue or face? Which is the most soothing fabric to protect the baby from scorching summer heat? Well! These questions haunt each and every mother. After birth, baby’s hygiene is the main concern of any parent. That’s why its important to know what are the best baby clothes available out there in the market and what kind of fabric is going to be the most comfortable one for your newborn baby’s skin. Today, The Champa Tree shares with you some of the most relevant information on a fabric called MUSLIN. It isn’t just used to prepare cottage cheese or hung curd at home 😉
Let’s find out a lot more about this beautiful fabric!
What is Muslin?
Muslin is a fine cotton fabric that is available in a wide range of weights and thickness. It is said to be the softest and the purest fabrics in the world. Believed to have originated decades ago, the fabric got it’s name from an Indian port called Maisolos. In early days, people in Dhaka (in Bangladesh) would hand-weave it from a delicate hand-spun yarn. Women (actually caregivers and mid-wives) would use this fabric to wrap a newborn baby.
Why Muslin for babies?
Th fabric is ultra soft and soothing, ideal for your baby’s soft baby. The delicate but durable weave of this magic fabric with ultimate stretchiness makes it perfect for swaddling. If you are an anti-diaper person, then this is the fabric you got to use for your DIY nappies. The basic white or natural cotton muslin can be used as a wash cloth, comforter, sleep sack or a bedding sheet to protect your baby from soaring high temperature. So, all in all, a muslin fabric is:
- Natural/Simple/Pure Cotton
- Breathable (due to it’s natural open weave), So does not let baby get overheated but still keeps the little one cozy
- Natural stretchiness
- All weather fabric
- Durable, gets softer with each wash, lasts countless washes (although it fades with time, but that’s the nature of the material).
How popular is Muslin?
1. According to celebrity and lifestyle magazine- Hello, “Kate Middleton stepped out onto the hospital steps to introduce Prince George to the world, it soon became clear that the “Kate effect” extended to her newborn baby. The bird-print muslin in which George was swaddled, by baby brand aden + anais, sold out within four hours of his appearance. The company’s website crashed and it experienced a 600 percent increase in sales on that item alone.”2. According to the magazine, there are many other celebrities who are not just in love with the brand aden + anais, but they are overall in love with this magical baby comforter muslin. Sienna Miller, Beyoncé, Charlize Theron, Jennifer Garner, Hilary Duff, and Sandra Bullock to name a few. Jessica Alba, Lily Allen, Robbie Williams and Khloe Kardashian have also covered their little babies in one of their muslin swaddles. To use muslin for babies has become a big trend in the US!
3. Mark Zuckerberg and wife Priscilla Chan wrapped their newborn baby girl Maxima in a muslin swaddle cloth. According to Daily Mail, “The proud new parents tenderly holding their newborn wrapped in a Aden And Anais swaddle cloth covered in cartoon caterpillars.
Which baby clothing/accessory is a MUST in soft muslin fabric?
1. Baby Sleep Wrap Swaddle
2. Burp Cloth and Bibs
4. Nursing Cover
6. All Season Blanket
The Champa Tree highly recommends:
Little West Street.. It is an online shop for babies and kids accessories with a complete range of muslin essentials for baby including bibs, burp cloths, swaddle sets, sleep sacks and blankets. You can also buy coordinated muslin sets in vibrant, stylish and quirky prints. Also available at Little West Street are fine quality bedding and essentials for little ones. Designed by a team of highly skilled New York designers, the products are adapted for India, and meet the highest quality and safety standards of the US. The goal of the brand is to delight both moms and their little ones with the finest products that they will continue to cherish over the years! Buy the collection online on www.thelittleweststreet.com, or you can find it at:
New Delhi: Manan, Shop No 6, 1st floor, Khan Market, New Delhi- 110003 (Tel No: +91-11-41757701.)
Mumbai: AA Living, 9 Nepean Sea Road, Teen Batti, Malabar Hills, Mumbai – 400006 (Tel No. +91-22-2368 3985).