Are you expecting your first baby? Congratulations – parenthood is a thrilling new adventure. And part of the adventure (as you eagerly await the baby’s arrival) entails shopping ahead of time for all the newborn baby care essentials.
However, as a new parent, you may struggle to come up with the list of the essential baby products, we’ve compiled a comprehensive list for you. So, here are the baby necessities you need in preparation for when your bundle of joy comes:
Newborn baby care feeding essentials:
Before you start shopping for feeding essentials, you should decide whether you’re going to breastfeed your baby or use formula.
For essentials that cut across, buy:
1. Burp cloths
2. Plenty of bibs
3. Nursing pillow
4. Bottle/nipple brush
5. Bottle sterilizer
6. Feeding bottles
For specifically breastfeeding mothers, add these to the above list:
1. Breast pump
2. Milk storage containers and bags
For parents who’ll opt to formula feed, your list should also include:
1. Formula-ask for recommendations from your doctor or other parents, and do check the expiry date before you buy
2. Thermal bottle carrier
Diapering baby needs:
1. Newborn baby diapers: Whatever you choose-disposable or cloth diapers, just make sure you buy at least two boxes. Because the baby will cruise through them fast as newborns use 6 or more diapers a day.
2. Changing pad: It’s an easy-to-use and portable newborn baby care product for changing diapers and clothes.
3. Baby wipes: These are much needed during diaper changes and for cleaning up other messes.
4. Diaper cream: It can help to prevent the baby from getting diaper rashes.
5. Diaper bag: The bag should be sizable to carry the diapers, baby wipes, diaper cream, dirty diaper pail, and change clothes for the baby that include a sun hat.
1. Onesies: Have a mix of short-sleeved and long-sleeved ones to suit the different weather.
2. Nightgowns: These are a newborn baby essential for when the baby’s umbilical cord is yet to fall off and can be swapped for sleepers when it falls off, and the area has fully healed.
3. Sleepers: These are perfect for both nighttime and daytime. Buy the ones with zippers for easy dressing and undressing the baby.
4. Pants and tops: When you want to switch up the baby’s dress code and put him in other clothes other than bodysuits.
5. Newborn baby hats: Not only to keep the baby warm but also to protect them from the sun’s harmful UV rays. Keep in mind that it’s ill-advised to put sunscreen on newborns.
6. Socks: For wearing with nightgowns and other outfits to keep the baby warm at all the time.
7. Mittens: This helps prevent the baby from scratching her face, you-the parents and the visitors who have come to ooh and aah over her cuteness.
8. Sweaters and snowsuit: If you’re having a winter baby, you need to buy at least two sweaters and a snowsuit if the winters in your area are pretty harsh.
9. Receiving blankets: For laying on the baby whenever you want to put her down. And they can also double as burp cloths.
10. Mosquito net: If you live in a mosquito-infested area, then a mosquito net is a must-have for protecting your newborn from contracting deadly malaria.
Newborn baby bathing essentials
1. Baby bathtub: A plastic baby tub is one of the essential baby products needed to protect your baby from slipping into the water. Choose one that is designed to support the baby’s head and shoulders.
2. Washcloths: Since newborns can’t take baths until their umbilical cord falls off and after the navel has healed, washcloths will come in handy as great newborn baby care products for sponge cleaning the little one.
3. Mild baby soap: Babies’ skins are sensitive, and therefore you need to buy a mild soap that is free of most of the fragrances and additives found in adult soaps.
4. Hooded towels: To keep the baby’s head warm as you dry their other parts of the body since babies lose heat fast through the head.
5. Soft-bristled baby hairbrush: Even babies need to have their hair groomed. So if your newborn has hair, you should comb it when it’s still wet to avoid hurting him.
6. Thermometer: This is great for ensuring that the bathwater is the right temperature for bathing the baby. Always check the bathwater to avoid scalding the baby’s skin.
1. Crib or bassinet: If you decide to go for a crib, make sure it’s the medically approved one with fixed side rails, a firm mattress, and a fitting sheet. Conversely, if you opt for a bassinet, choose a folding one that can easily be moved from one place to another.
2. Waterproof mattress covers: For protecting the mattress from diaper spills, baby drool, and sweat to enable the mattress to last longer.
3. Fitted crib sheets: The sheets need to snugly fit on the mattress to prevent the baby from getting entangled in them and end up suffocating.
4. Sleep sack or swaddle: Keep the baby warm, especially at night, and stop the baby from rolling over onto their stomach, a sleep position linked to sudden death syndrome (SIDS).
5. Baby monitor: To alert you when the baby is in distress and needs feeding, a diaper change, or a better sleeping position.
6. Pacifier: A pacifier is suitable for soothing newborn babies, and if you so choose to use it, make sure the baby likes it.
Essential health products:
1. Baby digital thermometer: You’ll need this newborn baby essential for tracking the baby’s temperature. And you can opt to either measure it from under the armpit or rectally.
2. Alcohol wipes: You should have a bottle at hand for sterilizing the baby thermometer.
3. Nasal aspirator: For draining mucus and clearing stuffy noses so that the baby can breathe well.
4. Cool mist humidifier: A humidifier is a newborn baby essential that helps keep a room moist and clears the baby’s stuffy nose.
5. Rash lotion or cream: Babies tend to get rashes and itchy bug bites, and when they do, calamine lotion or hydrocortisone cream can come in handy.
6. Bandages: Get prepared for any emergency by stocking up on a wide variety of small bandages and adhesive tape.
7. Nail clippers or scissors: These are necessary to trim the baby’s nails and prevent her from scratching herself and others.
Baby gear essentials
1. Infant safety car seat: It’s a must-have when you’re traveling with your little one, especially when you’ve to transport the baby from the hospital to home.
2. Baby carrier: Though infants are meant to be cuddled, there are times when you need to make dinner, do the laundry or clean the house, and the baby carrier can be a lifesaver.
3. A reclining stroller: Buy one only if you’ll be able to use it in your neighborhood. For example, if you stay in the countryside where it’s possible to stroll along the streets. Otherwise, it will be a waste of your money.
Because babies grow fast, don’t go overboard when shopping for the newborn baby essentials as you’ll soon be buying new baby products.
19 thoughts on “Newborn Baby Care Essentials – List Of Things You Should Buy”
This is such an handy list for all new mommies. I am surely going to be sharing this my friends who are expecting so they can be ready.
This is quite a detailed list and will come quite handy for many new moms. I am saving it and sharing it with my friends who are expecting, I am sure they will love this 🙂
What A great and informative post. By listing all the requirements for new borns, you have made life so much easier for a lot of people out there. I have a few friends who are expecting their delivery in a few weeks I will be sharing this with them
Thanks for this exhaustive list of things to buy for new born babies. It will be of ready help to expecting parents. I remember I had struggled for making a list of my own and then running to market for one or the other thing was again problematic.
A new baby means so many little details you have to take care of. This list will be helpful for new moms and expecting moms. I had my mom to take care of all of these so that i could only concentrate on the baby. Very informative and important post.
Wow! This is a very informative and detailed post. You covered every possible requirement for newborn baby. Giving to birth a new life is really a responsible task, one must prepare with all the necessities for making the journey smooth.
These are some of the really important topic a new mother worries for and you have collated everything right here, this is definitely a much helpful post
This is the complete list of products which a new mom required for here new born .. very helpful dear. During my pregnancy I also arranged everything beforehand.
Nice list but I think it’s all a matter of choice as we made do without so many of the above listed. Nurse pillow was something I didn’t even think of. But it’s helpful if you have a back issue.
Planning for baby things is not an easy task. This list has covered all of those essential that we usually missed while buying baby things. Bookmarking this post for future reference
New moms are so confused what they need for the baby. Your post is such a helpful reference and a good checklist too. Will share this with friends.
Next time I know of a new mom, I am going to print this and stick it as part of the gift. There propbably count have been a better way to ease out a new mom’s life than this one 🙂
Wow, you have the entire list a new Mom needs from A to Z. You have made it so easy for everyone.
You have shared such a detailed post. The list if rhings required for a newborn is exhaustive and complete. Will share itvwith few to-be-moms i know.
A very handy list indeed. I second the waterproof bed covers. Even with a crib, the baby does spend a lot of time on bed.
This post will be like a pick up list for new born baby and will be so very useful for new parents. I wish all this information should be there in our times.
My friend is expecting her first baby by November and she is at her wits end about the essentials to have. I am forwarding your comprehensive and helpful post to her, to help her out. Thanks for sharing.
This reminds of my list when I was expecting.. New born care can get overwhelming for new parents but having a list handy is always good.
Wow such an Informative and impressive post . You had listed all essential options for good new born care, will help a lot new parents and parent would be in taking good care oft their newborn babies.