by Ila Asthana
This post might not be able to tell you how to exactly flip a breech baby (naturally), but it will surely tell you what to expect and why not to panic!
Most pregnant mothers have the fear of position of their baby in the womb. True that, a breech baby adds complications for a natural childbirth. Breech baby is one when the head is not down and butt and feet are facing the vaginal opening. Most babies are active and keep changing the location till the last moment of labor. If your baby is in breech position right now, don’t panic, it might change with time.
Some of the different types of breech babies are:
1. Footling Breech: One or both the feet of the baby come out first. Very rare and usually seen in premature or cesarean deliveries.
2. Frank Breech: The bottom part of the baby comes first, legs are flexed with knees near the ears. Occasionally it is seen in a natural childbirth process or cesarean deliveries.
3. Complete Breech: A crossed leg position, with feet near the vaginal opening and head up.
4. Kneeling Breech: An extremely rare scenario, where the baby is kneeling with one or both legs extended at the hips with knees bent.
5. Footling-Frank Breech: In this case, one foot is bent like complete breech position, and the other is tilted like frank breech. Usually seen in early pregnancy and when the baby has larger womb space, ending up mostly with cesarean delivery.
Some common factors of the causes of the breech babies are: a history of premature deliveries, when the uterus has too much or too little amniotic fluid, abnormal uterus shape, unfeasible placenta position, fetal abnormalities and multiple gestation. Above all, sedentary and stressed lifestyle with increased weight gain more than suggested also impacts the baby’s position in the womb.
A few weeks before the delivery, the doctor will check the baby’s position by feeling and touching the abdomen and uterus. If the baby is in breech position, the round head will be positioned on the upper part of the uterus.
A stress free lifestyle, with regular and recommended physical exercise such as walking and yoga is a must. Accurate body posture habits during the appropriate period of the pregnancy, will help the baby to avoid the breech position. A safe, natural childbirth implies a stress free comfortable journey of pregnancy. After all this, if nothing turns out as per your expectations, don’t have hard feelings, life and emotions would change, as soon as your bundle of joy enters this world.
You might also like: