Can you name one dish that comes to your mind when someone says, ‘comfort food’? That soothes your soul and also ticks all boxes of being delicious and nutritious? For me, it’s the good old tomato soup recipe – wholesome, creamy, healthy soup with tomatoes, butter, and fresh cream. Slurp!
Why only an adult like me? Soup, in my opinion, is one of the easiest ways to up the vegetable intake of kids, especially fussy eaters. Creamy and yummy, blended ones like tomato soup are often loved by most kids. Here comes the real deal, while everyone loves the restaurant like the taste, those bought from the market are often full of added sugar and other less desirable ingredients. It’s always wise to make it at home. where you have control over what goes into the dish and you are sure of what’s going inside those tiny tummies.
I did a few experiments and came up with this quick and easy tomato soup recipe that can be made at home from scratch. Low in salt and with no added sugar, there are perfect for the little ones. This creamy and delicious tomato soup is ideal for babies from 10 months and apt for monsoon or winter season.
1. Tomato Soup
1. 3-4 Tomatoes
2. One tbsp finely chopped onions
3. 2 Peeled and chopped carrots
4. 4 Small cloves finely chopped- garlic
5. Salt – as required
6. One tsp- butter/ghee (clarified butter)
7. One small bay leaf
8. Cinnamon – a small piece
9. 1/2 Tsp- ground pepper powder
10. 1-2 Cups vegetable stock/Water
11. One tsp – Fresh cream
1. First things first, wash the tomatoes well. Put them in a saucepan with water and boil them until their outer skin gets soft and starts peeling off. Switch off the flame once done and cool it down.
2. Grind the tomatoes to a smooth puree without any chunks. Set aside.
3. Heat a saucepan with butter and add butter, bay leaves, cinnamon, and cloves. Fry them for a minute. Now add finely chopped onions, carrots, and garlic to the spices and fry them well until golden brown
4. Now add pureed tomatoes and mix well. Add 1 cup of vegetable stock/water. Boil it for 5 minutes in low medium flame
Once the soup is slightly thick, add required salt, pepper powder. Bring it to a boil and simmer for a few minutes. Switch off the flame
5. Using a hand blender, blend the chunky soup until it turns smooth. Switch on the flame again and add more water/vegetable stock if too thick. Add fresh cream/grated cheese. Mix well.
6. Serve warm with toasted bread cubes.
Potato Soup Recipe!
A superhit at my home, kids love the flavor of this comforting soup which loads up on veggies (much to mommy’s delight) but also is toned down on spicy flavors. Add a little extra flavor with fresh basil and top it up with baked bread cubes for that added dose of yumminess. For extra kid appeal, use your creativity and some fresh cream to make a smiley or spider web to make it exciting for your little one.
Benefits of tomatoes? Click here!
by Swati Mehra