Can you name one dish that comes to your mind when someone says, ‘comfort food’? That soothes your soul and also ticks all boxes of being delicious and nutritious? For me, it’s the good old tomato soup recipe – wholesome, creamy, healthy soup with tomatoes, butter, and fresh cream. Slurp!
Soup for a slurpy healthy meal:
Why only an adult like me? Soup, in my opinion, is one of the easiest ways to up the vegetable intake of kids, especially fussy eaters. Most kids love creamy and yummy, blended ones like tomato soup. Here comes the real deal. While everyone loves the restaurant like the taste, those bought from the market are often full of added sugar and other less desirable ingredients. It’s always wise to make it at home. Here, you have control over what goes into the dish and you are sure of what’s going inside those tiny tummies. Let your child have all the benefits of tomatoes easily and with great taste.
I did a few experiments and came up with this quick and easy tomato soup recipe. Also, we can make it at home from scratch. Low in salt and with no added sugar, there are perfect for the little ones. This creamy and delicious tomato soup is ideal for babies from 10 months. It is also apt for the monsoon or winter season.
- 3-4 nos Tomatoes
- 1 tbsp Onions finely chopped
- Salt as required
- 1 tsp Butter/ghee clarified butter
- 1 no Bay leaf small
- 1 no Cinnamon small
- 1 tsp Pepper powder
- 2 cup Vegetable stock/water
- 1 tsp Fresh cream
- Wash the tomatoes, blanch them in a sauce pan till the outer skin peels off. Switch off the flame and let it cool.
- Grind the tomatoes to a smooth puree without any chunks and set aside.
- Melt butter in a pan and add bay leaves, cinnamon and cloves. Once they start spluttering, add chopped onions, carrot, and garlic to the spices and fry them until golden brown.
- Add the pureed tomato and mix well. Add vegetable stock/water and boil for 5 minutes in low-medium flame.
- Once the soup is think, add pepper powder, and salt. Turn of the stove and let it cool
- Using a hand blender, blend the chunky soup till smooth. Add more vegetable stock if it is too thick. Add fresh cream/grated butter and mix well.
- Serve warm with bread toast.
Potato Soup Recipe!
A superhit at my home, kids love the flavor of this comforting tomato soup recipe which loads up on veggies (much to mommy’s delight) but also is toned down on spicy flavors. Also, add a little extra flavor with fresh basil and top it up with baked bread cubes for that added dose of yumminess. For extra kid appeal, use your creativity and some fresh cream to make a smiley or spider web to make it exciting for your little one.
by Swati Mehra