Sweet or sour? What are you craving for in your 11th week? Or, you’d rather keep a healthy check on your weight? Here is how to deal with the crazy pregnancy cravings!
Cravings in pregnant women are not unheard of and some of them can be quite unusual and erratic. According to a study, 85 percent of pregnant women agree to have specific cravings during this period. Another study suggests that 40 percent women crave sweets, 40 percent crave salty and spicy foods while the remaining 20 percent crave sour items. Do you belong to any of these categories?
Popular cravings in pregnant women:
The most popular cravings during pregnancy are chocolates, ice-cream, candies, potato chips, spicy foods, fruits, lemon, pickles, and tamarind. Apart from these, women also crave for non-food items like ice, dirt, chalk, and clay.
Dealing with pregnancy cravings:
Cravings may get slightly tricky when you are 11 weeks pregnant and reaching the end of the first trimester. At this stage, the development of the baby is rapid and hence you experience a number of bodily changes.
When your cravings get uncontrollable, let the tips below be your guide:
2. Eat small portions six to seven times a day to keep your blood sugar level steady and thus curb sugar cravings.
3. Indulge in physical activity. Walk and exercise regularly.
4. Follow a balanced diet rich in proteins, calcium, iron, magnesium, sodium, potassium, and vitamin B.
5. Understand your cravings and substitute non-healthy cravings with healthy foods. For example, chocolate craving may indicate low magnesium. Consume foods rich in magnesium like beans, nuts, or green vegetables.
6. Get emotional support. Talk to your partner or friend. Try to stay away from stressful situations.
8. When all else fails, give in to your craving but in small quantity. Having a little portion of an unhealthy snack will not affect your baby.
Along with food cravings, the 11th week of pregnancy may also bring symptoms like sleeplessness, bloating, excessive saliva, and breast tenderness. Browse through our website articles to prepare yourself for every stage of pregnancy. From week by week expert tips on pregnancy calendar to new born baby care tips, we are here to guide you through the amazing journey of early parenthood.