by June 30, 2015 updated on
Online book reading can be so much fun with Amazon Kindle – world’s best e-reader for you and me. It’s true! Mommies and daddies, take a look at 5 amazing reasons why you should use as well as introduce this awesome gadget to your kids. Yes! You heard me RIGHT!
Very recently I came across Kindle Voyage, Amazon’s latest and super lightweight e-reader. Actually a friend, an avid reader recommended it to me. She teaches literature at a high school. That makes her an obvious candidate for an ebook. So, initially when she suggested, I wasn’t too keen. However, as soon as motherhood hit me, It all made so much sense. Over a period of time, my outlook towards SEVERAL things began to take a twist. Yes! Which also included, switching over from the traditional newspapers to their online versions. It suits today’s fast-paced life. Doesn’t it?
Back in the 90s, I was known to swallow books like marshmallows (not literally speaking). The smell of an old or a new book- that nostalgic aroma, fancy looking bookmarks, gorgeous covers, would keep me going all the more. But, know what? Time is changing. The book lovers are now looking for something sleek. Besides, there is a radical shift in the reading habits. With little time on hands and so much to do, travel, work, meetings, kids, social life, multi-tasking..
.. All this and more has got us looking for something which is handy, thin, bright, something more advance and has really sharp text that looks more and more like you are reading a real paper. So, know what? As a person who loves reading, a mother of a toddler who would like to pass on the beautiful habit of reading on to her child, a person who works from home, travels for meetings (uses her travel time to read), I have found a solution just as my friend did! I now like the smell of an ebook better. And here is why a mother or a father should go for this amazing product- Amazon Kindle (Kindly Voyage in particular):
1. Fewer distractions, more reading: Kindle is purely designed for reading purposes, this means absolutely no distractions for me or my child. With Kindle, I can also look up definitions of certain words for myself or for the little one while reading out stories to him. My Brat H is quite fond of the text. Each time he looks up at the screen, he gets so excited, so in a way I am happy to introduce him to the looks of alphabets early on!
2. Vocabulary boost: Kindle makes it easy for young readers to add new words to their vocabulary. Learning and using good vocab is such an important aspect from the child’s social development point of view! I am definitely very conscious about the words my little one picks up and plans to use in his day-to-day life. Kindle makes it easy for me as a mother or the young readers to add new words to their child’s or their own vocabulary. Words looked up on Kindle are automatically added to Vocabulary Builder, where kids can quiz themselves with flashcards to reinforce new word retention. Isn’t that cool?
3. Kindle FreeTime: This one feature is very interesting. It encourages children to read even more with FreeTime. FreeTime lets you create personalised profiles for kids and give them access to titles from your collection of books. Children are rewarded with achievement badges that keep track of their personal reading accomplishments. A progress report keeps parents updated on total time spent reading, the number of words looked up, badges earned and books read.
4. Parental Controls: Well, for now I don’t have to worry at all about this, but if you are parenting a grown-up kid then this feature can be brought to use. Parental Controls allow you to restrict access to the Kindle Store, Cloud and Experimental Web Browser so you can give Kindle to a child worry-free.
5. Easily learn new words: For kids reading their first chapter books, Word Wise feature available on many popular English-language titles, makes it easier to enjoy and quickly understand more challenging books. Short and simple definitions automatically appear above difficult words, so they can keep reading with fewer interruptions. Tap on a word to bring up a simple card with definitions, synonyms, and more. Kids can adjust the number of hints they see with a simple slider.
Story telling can be so much fun: Oh! Forgot to mention this really important feature.. Kindle Voyage is a pretty smart device for it can understand the difference between sunlight and absolute darkness. Kindle Voyage adapts itself by sensing the light in your environment and changes it’s settings to the ideal brightness. So, it will not effect my child’s vision at any cost. But why I give this gadget 10/10 is for it’s most thoughtful and super user-friendly feature- PagePress. It allows you to turn the page without lifting a finger. Simply apply pressure on the slanting surface to turn the page. How cool is that?
And, folks! Fret not if you don’t own a Kindle!!! Parents can still introduce their kids to reading by simply downloading the free Kindle Reading App on any of their device. Amazon’s Kindle app gives readers access to over 300,000 eBooks across multiple genres, allowing them to read what they want on-the-go, anytime and anywhere.
Here’s a list of eBooks complied by Amazon especially for kids to read this summer. So go grab them now: Summer Reading for Children
You might also like: